Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm not a morning person

They say if you want to start a productive writing routine you need to listen to your body rhythms to find when you're most productive. They then go on to tell you that you will be most productive in the morning after you've woken up. Your sub-conscious mind hasn't fully shut down yet so you should be overflowing with ideas. Yeah right.

I'm not a morning person. I might get up at 6:30 in the morning but I'm not fully functioning until 10:00 am. If I have difficulty in remembering how to get dressed in the morning how am I suppose to be creative and eager to write? I'm just lucky I have autopilot on my car for the drive in to work.

If I tried to write something in the morning it would be like "roses are read, violets are blue, I'm done." or "it was a dark and stormy night, now can I go back to bed?" The problem is the time when my brain is most active is about the time I need to go so sleep.

I'm a night person. I come alive once the sun sets. I live the vampire existence . . . at least I try to, but getting up in the morning to go to work curtails that most nights. And by the time I get home from work my eyes are so tired from staring at a computer screen that the last thing I want to do is sit down and write. I do other things to unwind. Unfortunately those other things tend to last right up until it's time to go to bed and start the process all over again.

Maybe I need to find a job like what Brandon Sanderson had before he got published. He worked as a night desk clerk for a hotel. I think he wrote 5 or 6 novels while on the job because things were slow. I don't know how much desk clerks make but it might be something to consider.

No comments: